For Renters

Alameda County has numerous services to assist low-income and other designated residents in accessing and maintaining a stable housing situation. The resources below are funded from Alameda County Housing and Community Development (HCD) or referred though them. Your qualifications for specific resources may depend on the program’s targeting. Please refer to specific program details for more information.

Logo for Alameda County Housing Secure, the text is on the right, and to the left is a circle with Alameda County landmarks, such as UC Berkeley's campanili and the unloading cranes from Oakland's docks all done in a brown

Alameda County Housing Secure is a collaboration of legal service providers partnering to prevent the displacement of our most vulnerable community members.


How do I know if my eviction notice is legal? Do I need to move out? All eviction notices must be in writing, a verbal notice from your landlord is not a legal eviction notice. Landlords must serve the written notice before they file an Unlawful Detainer in court. Landlords must go through the court process to evict tenants, and tenants have the right to fight the case. If you are a tenant, landlords cannot simply change the locks or tell you that you have to leave. That is not a legal eviction. If you receive a verbal eviction threat from your landlord, or a written eviction notice, or your landlord wants you to sign an agreement and you are not sure if you should sign it, please contact a legal services provider to apply for assistance and advice about your options before you sign anything or decide to move out.

Find more about Alameda County evictions at

If you received a Summons or Complaint The most important thing is to make sure you file a response or “Answer” within five business days of being sued, or you could lose by default. If you were just served, contact a legal services provider to apply for assistance. If you are close to the deadline, use this General Denial packet to file your response. See Alameda County’s Flyer (pdf) for the steps and deadlines in the eviction process.

Tenant Protections logo, white text on a blue background with an apartment building to the left of the words

Tenant Protections provides renters in California with high-quality information about their rights under both California law and local ordinances. Tenant Protections connects renters with local and statewide non-profits to help them deal with housing issues in their communities.

Legal Assistance and Displacement

The following organizations provide free legal services to low-income tenants and homeowners disproportionately impacted by the region’s housing affordability crisis and the COVID-19 pandemic. To learn more about your rights and apply for representation, contact them using the information below:

Four Logos: Centro Legal de La Raza, East Bay Community Law Center, Housing and Economic Rights Activists (HERA),  Bay Area Legal Aid

Centro Legal de la Raza, the Eviction Defense Center, Bay Area Legal Aid, East Bay Community Law Center, and Housing and Economic Rights Advocates (HERA) provide free legal services to low-income tenants and homeowners disproportionately impacted by the region’s housing affordability crisis.

EBHO Logo, a round yellow circle with a darkish red outline and the same dark red illustrating houses in the middle with EBHO under the housing image

East Bay Housing Organization (EBHO) is a community organizing group that provides resources for tenants facing financial hardships.

The Self-Help Desk at the Alameda County Superior Court provides legal information and resources to self-represent court customers. Assistance may be in the form of private appointments, referrals, Live Chat, and/or telephonic assistance. Self Help | Superior Court of California | County of Alameda

Logo for ECHO Housing. People gathered under a roof in blue

Eden Council for Hope and Opportunity (ECHO)’s Tenant/Landlord Counseling Program provides information to tenants and landlords on rental housing issues such as evictions, rent increases, repairs and habitability, harassment, illegal entry, and other rights and responsibilities regarding the tenant/landlord relationship. ECHO has trained mediators to assist in resolving housing disputes through conciliation and mediation. We make referrals to legal services for advice and representation on housing-related issues including evictions, rent increases, repairs and habitability, and harassment. ECHO Housing’s Rent Review Ordinance and Tenant Protections Training video or access the slide presentation (pdf – 4.8MB).

More Resources for Tenants

Resources and Support to Youth Under 18:

Utility Assistance


Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) provides financial assistance and support for customers, including help with past due bills, ways to reduce future bills, and additional general support.

East Bay MUD

If your water has been shut off due to non-payment, please call EBMUD Customer Service at 1-866-403-2683 to make arrangements to restore service. EBMUD’s Customer Assistance Program helps reduce bills for customers facing economic hardships.